This quick, filling soup has a fabulously smooth texture and can be flavored with fresh rosemary, thyme or sage. It makes a great opener to a meal and is fabulous served with Matt's Wonder-ful Bread Machine Bread, Guinness Bread or other favorite bread.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 organic onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, rosemary or sage
- 4 cups organic cooked white beans
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- Quality salt
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salted capers for garnish
- Large high sided pot
- Immersion blender or regular blender
Step 1. Sauté
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and sauté until translucent and just turning golden, 5-7 minutes.
Add the garlic and fresh thyme. Sauté for 2 minutes.
Step 2. Simmer the soup
Add the beans, broth and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Step 3. Blend
Blend until smooth with an immersion blender (or regular blender). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 4. Garnish and serve
Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with olive oil.
Garnish with fresh herbs, salted capers and/or ground pepper if desired.