Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
- 8 ounces fettuccine noodles
- 4 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup organic, unbleached flour
- 1 cup organic half and half or whole milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Sauce Pan
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Large Pot (for boiling pasta)
Step 0. Start boiling water for the fettuccine.
Step 1. Make the Roux
Melt the butter in a saucepan.
Add the garlic and saute until soft.
Stir in the flour. It should form a thick paste the consistency of play dough.
When the water boils, add the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Strain.
Step 2. Make the Alfredo
Whisk in the half and half and broth. Don't panic if it seems lumpy and strange. Keep whisking until all the lumps are gone and the sauce begins to thicken.
Remove from heat and stir in the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
Step 3. Garnish and Serve
In a dry cast iron skillet, toast the almonds until just turning golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
In the same skillet, melt the remainning butter and add the olive oil.
Add the mushrooms in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt. Brown on each side.
Toss the pasta with sauce and top with almonds, mushrooms and parsley.