Prep time:5 minutes
Cook time:45-55 minutes
- 3 cups whole ground spelt or other unbleached, unbrominated flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or other sweetener such as xylitol)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1, 12 oz. bottle of Guinness beer, plus about 2 tablespoons of water
- Glass mixing bowl
- Greased and floured glass bread pan
Step 0. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Step 1. Mix the dry ingredients
Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
Step 2. Mix in the Guinness
Pour in one, 12 ounce bottle of Guinness beer. Rinse the bottle with a little water and add that in as well.
Mix well and place the rather sticky batter into the greased and floured loaf pan. Smooth the top with an oiled rubber spatula.
Step 3. Bake.
Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
Remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean, the bread sounds hollow when tapped and the crust is golden brown.
Cool in the pan for a few minutes. Remove from the pan, loosening the sides with a spatula or knife if necessary.
Serve warm with butter, honey and gomashio. It is also great as sandwich bread, toast, or french toast.