This is a great way to get in some extra vegetables. If "green" is a problem in your household, peel the zucchinis.
Prep time:10 minutes (hands on time)
Cook time:20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into chunks
- 2 pounds ripe garden tomatoes, chopped or 1, 29 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes in a BPA free can
- Fresh (or dried) basil, oregano, sage, and/or rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon quality salt
- Large sauce pan or stock pot
- Blender or food processor
- Zester or grater
Step 1. Saute
Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
Add the onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Add the garlic and saute until the onions and garlic are translucent.
Add the zucchini and coat with oil. Saute for several minutes.
Step 2. Simmer
Add the tomatoes, herbs salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until the zucchinis are soft.
Meanwhile, juice and zest the lemon.
Step 3. Blend
Blend the sauce with an immersion blender until smooth or pour into a blender or food procressor.
Continue to simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens.
Add the lemon and zest. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve over spaghetti and meatballs.