Last minute snacks can be a quandary in a make-it-from-scratch household. Yet, these fantastic brownies couldn't be faster, less processed or more versatile. Twenty minutes start to finish, these warm, chocolaty treats are not only as fast as a boxed mix, but also far better for you.
This adaptable recipe can successfully be made gluten, grain, dairy, cocoa, and/or processed sugar-free. Simply mix up whatever variation meets your current dietary needs!
Gluten/grain-free: substitute 1/2 cup light buckwheat flour or 1/3 cup almond flour for the flour
Dairy-free: substitute 1/2 cup coconut oil for the butter
Cocoa-free: substitute 1/3 cup carob for the cocoa
Sweetening: Maple syrup, xylitol, sucanant, coconut crystals, mashed banana or other sweeteners all substitite well.
Prep time:5 minutes
Cook time:9-12 minutes
- 1/2 cup organic butter
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup organic cocoa powder (I prefer Green & Black)
- 1/2 cup organic einkorn or spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon quality salt
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 8 x 8 glass baking pan
Step 0. Preheat the over to 350 degrees F.
Step 1. Prepare the pan
Grease a glass 8 x 8 baking pan with butter or coconut oil. Dust with flour. Tap out excess flour from dusting and add to brownie batter.
Step 2. Mix the dry ingredients
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
Step 3. Make the batter
In a sucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat and add the maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix in the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth.
Step 4. Bake
Pour the batter into the greased, floured pan. Bake for 9-12 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees.
For gooey brownies, peek in at 9 minutes and remove before completely set in the center.
For cake-like brownies, remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean, around 12 minutes.
These are best enjoyed warm from the oven.
- Drizzle with raw honey and dust with cinnamon.
- Cool slightly and top with silky honey cream cheese frosting before cutting.
- Serve with smooth vanilla custard or homemade ice cream.
- Cap with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and fresh berries.